DIY Tutorial: Simple Favor Bag


Sorry Lovelies, I really haven’t had any time to craft recently. Seeing that tutorials & diy’s are my most viewed posts I wanted to put up a real simple and fairly quick project today. I will say right off this project DID take me a long time as I was making 19 for my son’s class as a valentine exchange. We have had SO much going on here at home I didn’t have time to sit with Azure and have him make a pile of cards. I was trying to give something that wasn’t a sweet treat and something that hopefully won’t be thrown away too soon and came up with these little sunglass cases that can be reused as a treasure bag later. At the bottom of the post I’ll include my inspirations for this project.

Items Needed/Cost of Project:

1.66 of a yard of natural muslin Cost: about $2.49 on sale at Joann’s (I already had this one hand, but you could certainly use scraps or make smaller bags)

Scrapes of fabric and felt Cost: Free (Already had on hand)

Regular thread & embroidery thread Cost: Free (Already had)

Ribbon or some thing to use as a drawstring Cost: Free (I used scraps of ribbon I had in my stash)

A black thin tipped permanent marker Cost: Free (I already had this, that I bought at the dollar store, though if I were to buy something I would have gotten a fabric marker so it won’t wash out)

Red fabric paint, optional Cost: Free (I already had, I think only a dollar if you were buying it. I believe I bought mine at Walmart)

Sunglasses, optional Cost: $7.00 (3/$1.00 party favors at the .99 Cents store)

Sewing machine, optional Cost: Free (Already had)

Total Cost: $9.50 or $0.40 cents for one baggie, including the glasses


Step 1: Wash and iron your fabric. Decide what size you want the baggie to be. I folded my fabric over (and saved sewing one side) and cut out 10″ x 4 1/2″ rectangle. Opened up it was 10″ x 9″.   IMG_20140212_084048

Step 2: Next I took a scrap of fabric and tested my pen and picture design.


Step 3: I traced the drawing sketch I made on the fabric and made a simple template out of paper. Then I traced it on to the fabric I was using to make the baggie. I tried to center the picture as much as possible, taking into consideration only one side of the bag would have a seam (therefore needed a little extra fabric allowance) and the top where I would be using to make the drawstring seam. I chose to use fabric scraps to make a hat and felt to make a heart patch and a skull and ‘crossbones’ since the little guy looked at bit more like a farmer than a pirate. For the girls, I made a tied bandana looking hat instead (See pics below) using the same template steps.

Step 4: I used embroidery thread to hand stitch the eye patch on and regular thread to hand stitch the hat on. You can use whatever thread you like and can use your sewing machine to complete this step.


Step 5: I free handed the eye, nose, mouth and added a couple of lines for hair that went up to the hat and personalized each baggie with ‘You’re a grrreat friend ________ (the child’s name added)! I made all the boys look the same. When I went to make the girls, I noticed that the girls had more noticeably different hair and chose to personalize their hair a little with a few different styles and types. You could totally save yourself time and keep them all the same, especially if you don’t feel confident to free hand it.


Step 6: Using the sewing machine (or hand sewing) sew the bottom and the one side seam closed. Since the other side is folded over you don’t need to sew that side.

Step 7: Sew the drawstring seam just like you would for a pair of pants. Here’s a link: with detailed instructions. Simply put, make a tiny fold to hide the raw seam and then a larger one that will fit the string, sew down. Leave a small gap to string the string through.


Step 8:
Since these bags were doubling for valentine cards, we made a heart print using the fabric paint and a thumb. I placed a piece of folded newspaper inside the bag to avoid the paint soaking through while we were printing. It did leave a little newspaper stuck to the inside 😦 I couldn’t find any heavy cardstock which I have tried before with good results. When the paint was dry, I added arms, legs and a face with the same marker I used for the front. This particular one did not soak through the fabric, but I would definitely test yours on a scrap first. Lastly, Azure signed his name.

IMG_20140212_212040      IMG_20140212_211921

Here are a few samples of the baggies I made. See I was trying to go fancy with the hair styles 🙂

IMG_20140212_211825     IMG_20140213_073451

These are what the boys bags looked like and the sunglasses I added inside the bags once they were complete.

And here are the inspiration links: and

Have fun adapting your own favor bags!